Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Storybook Nursery

When we found out we were having a little girl, I knew I wanted to do a "fairy tale" nursery. My nursery concept is actually based on my favorite childhood books and items that are special to me, so it is a little different than the princess fairy tale nurseries that are so popular right now.


Here I mixed tea time with the garden. Memories of Alice in Wonderland and The Velveteen Rabbit come to mind when I look at it.



I painted this chair during a summer break from college--long before I ever thought about children. The quilt was actually a wedding present from my parents. My mother, grandmother and great grandmother all contributed to it.

Here is my blessing dress with a little nutcracker ballerina. I've always loved the Sugar Plum Fairy.


This shelf (yes--it was an unfinished wood Roberts shelf I got for half off) holds some discount finds that really completes the story tale theme. I found some vintage copies of Beauty and the Beast (my favorite fairy tale) and Cinderella at our local thrift store. Rummaging through my Easter stuff, I also found an old mini flower tea set my mom sent me that I had adored growing up. To do the name letters, I bought some cute letters at Hobby Lobby and covered them with scrapbook paper using mod-podge. Unbelievably, Jason happened to have the awesome frog prince sculpture by artist Gary Price. I scored the Glenda vintage barbie on clearance at Wal-mart just a few months ago!




This lamp is actually sister inspired. You'll notice that the rosettes are none other than the glue gun rosettes previously featured on this blog.


Now all I have to do is paint the room "Cinderella Blue" and finish sewing the three layered ruffled crib skirt. Those feats will deserve a separate post of their own!


Don't forget to check out the "Party Central" tab to see what parties we love linking up to every week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think. We love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...